Legal Question in Family Law in California

My ex-husband chose to pay just part of a medical co-pay. I asked him to pay his whole portion to which he ignored my request. I sent a letter to his attorney by certified mail which she received on August 9, 2016 and I have yet to receive a response. I have tried contacting this particular attorney two times in the last 12 months by email for different purposes, and her secretary left a voicemail message stating that I am not allowed to email and only US Mail will be accepted which is why I sent the certified letter this time. Does this sound reasonable?

Asked on 8/28/16, 9:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Reasonable? No. The world works on email these days. However nothing requires any attorney to respond to any particular form of communication. If the attorney chooses not to deal with opposing parties via email, they are entitled to do so. Furthermore, though rude and not particularly professional, they can decline to correspond with you at all. If your husband owes you money, and the lawyer won't respond, your recourse is to file a motion.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/16, 12:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California