Legal Question in Family Law in California

If the father of my kids and I are separated, would child support be calculated after or before his expenses because he owns his own business? How would they figure out when he gets to see his children?

Asked on 8/03/10, 3:22 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Matthew Jensen Law Office of Matthew J. Jensen

If the father of your children owns a business, then his child support obligation would be based on his business's net profits and would take into account his business expenses. If you are unable to reach an agreement with him regarding custody and visitation, the court will order a visitation schedule.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/10, 11:46 pm
Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Mr. Jensen is correct. I would just add in general, custody and support are handled exactly the same for unmarried parents as for divorced parents.

Read more
Answered on 8/09/10, 3:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California