Legal Question in Family Law in California

There was a FOAH in 1998 for spousal support increase which was served on my previous counsel and opposing counsel, but was never forwarded to my employer. My employer garnished my wages for spousal support based on a previous order. I filed for termination of spousal support this year and ex spouse stated I was in arrears. Since 1998 up to 2013 I was paying spousal support based on the original order and not on the increase. Is this my fault. Previous counsel did not inform me of the FOAH in 1998. Please advs.

Asked on 5/05/13, 11:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

You definitely have a problem with your prior attorney. But that does not give you grounds to refuse to pay the arrearages. What I don't understand is why your employer did not receive a new wage withholding order when the increase went into effect, regardless of the lack of communication from your attorney.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/13, 1:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California