Legal Question in Family Law in California

My ex girlfriend and I work in the same work place. It is a huge work place so we really do not see each other often. She currently filed a restraining order against me which requires me to stay away 100 yards from her and her work place because of domestic abuse. I cannot go to work and I am falling in debt. I do not know if i will have enough money to pay rent next month because of this and might lose my car. Is there any way to modify the restraining order to allow me to go to work?

Asked on 5/24/13, 10:26 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

You need to go into court on an ex parte basis and get the restraining order modified as to the workplace restrictions. You should also point that out in your opposition to the long term order.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 11:11 am


You didn't indicate whether your girlfriend filed her request on an Ex Parte basis, which means without a formal hearing and little to no notice depending on circumstances. If she did go in Ex Parte, did she give you notice, and if so, did you appear to oppose at the Ex Parte stage? If it was only done Ex Parte, there should be a formal hearing coming up in which you can try and oppose her requests and either have the Ex Parte Order terminated, or modified with respect to work. If there already was a formal hearing, did you show up to oppose it?


Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 11:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California