Legal Question in Family Law in California

My ex husband fell 8000 behind in child/spousal support so I filed contempt charges. We went to court today and he told the Judge he didn't think he was in contempt so she appointed him a lawyer. Should I be worried? I'm representing myself. I gave the judge proof of none payments.

Asked on 7/16/13, 3:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

The alleged contemnor (in this case, your ex husband) has the right to an appointed attorney because contempt proceedings are similar to criminal proceedings. I would suggest to you that you at least consider getting an attorney to assist you with at least the contempt proceedings, as the appointed attorney is usually a skilled public defender who handles these types of matters.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/13, 8:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California