Legal Question in Family Law in California

I have had many issues with my attorney and recently she requested for me to sign a substitution of attorney. She has threatened to file a Motion to withdraw if I don't sign the substitution. Its been a couple months and she seems hesitant to file the motion to withdraw and prefers a signed substitution. Is there any advantages or disadvantages with either? Or are they the same?

Asked on 10/27/19, 2:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Unless you want her to continue representing you, and have legal grounds to force her to do so (very unlikely in a family law case) she will win the motion and have the right to bill you and collect her fees for maker her do that rather than sign the substitution. Your best course of action would be to find a new attorney and have them participate in the substitution. If you cannot ar are unwilling to do that, then you should sign the substitution making you a self-represented party. There is no upside to forcing her to file a motion.

Read more
Answered on 10/28/19, 10:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California