Legal Question in Family Law in California

Jurisdiction Reserved in California

If you have a judgment that states reserved jurisdiction under the heading Child Support. Doesn't that mean that a case for child support has to be heard in that court house? Papers were filed in AZ by my ex when AZ did not have jurisdiction ANI filed in Rancho Cucamonga, CA and since my daughters school attendence records proved she was living in Rancho Cucamonga four months prior to my filing the Rancho Cucamonga Court determined they had jurisdiction when we were handling custody and visitation. Papers came to me last week originally filed in Arizona state and kicked over to Riverside County were I live regarding child support filed when my daughter was only living in AZ for one month. I am responding with a motion to dismiss and or transfer case to Rancho Cucamonga since they have jurisdiction over the case. Wouldn't my ex have to file in Rancho Cucamonga Court in California and not in Arizona? Or will Arizona just sent the old papers from nine months ago over to Rancho Cucamonga Court? From the date he submits is that the date I would have to start paying this child support? Or is it the date the court filed his old papers in Riverside county stamped March 2009?

Asked on 5/19/09, 2:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: Jurisdiction Reserved in California

These cases are very fact driven. You should consult with an attorney to review all of the facts of your case.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/09, 2:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California