Legal Question in Family Law in California

I lived with my boyfriend for 13 years and we were engaged for 2 of those years prior to breaking off our engagement. I paid him over $709, 000 in rent over 13 years, paid for all the food, purchased items for the home etc. When I left, I left with no items, no home, no dog, gave back the wedding ring and no money. Do I have a case? Do I have any entitlement to money, assets etc.? Please help.


Asked on 11/26/10, 9:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Sanchez Law Office of James V. Sanchez

When you refer to a "case", its not clear what you are seeking remedy for. If you purchased items in your name, those items are yours, unless you have been gone a while or made it clear you were abandoning or gifting those to your boyfriend. Otherwise, they are yours and you can go and pick them up.

If you are seeking support of some kind, or property rights other than those spoken about above, California does not create an support or property right to unmarried couples.

You may, however, wish to speak to an attorney regarding a Marvin action. This is an action, often mis-named a "palimony" action, which can enforce an express or implied contract between to cohabitating adults. Its far too long to explain here, but a competent family law attorney can guide you through the basis for such an action.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/10, 5:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California