Legal Question in Family Law in California

i have been married to my husband for 9 months, i quit my job of 14 yrs to move to texas to be with him because it was that or else! (his words)He has a lot of issues in his life and i thought i could help till he started getting abusive, i packed up my truck and moved back to my home. My Question is what do i do now..after only nine months what are my rights?

Asked on 7/13/12, 11:55 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Peter Tuann Law Office of Peter Tuann

the same as any spouse, you have community property, you have the right to seek support based upon marriage and/or having children with your husband, you should hire a local CA atty to handle your divorce while you return to TX.

Read more
Answered on 7/13/12, 12:55 pm
Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

The answer to your question may not be as simple as Mr Tuann stated in his answer. There are residency requirements in California that must be met. That is live in California 6 months and the county in which you file 90 days prior to filing the petition for dissolution. You may also wish to discuss the matter with an attorney in Texas. In California the goal would be for you to become self sufficient in about 4.5 months, 1/2 the length of the marriage. You may have better spousal support rights in Texas. Also the California court may not have jurisdiction over the ex husband to order his to pay spousal support. The only way you will get the best advice is to consult in person or by telephone with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 7/13/12, 10:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California