Legal Question in Family Law in California

I was married in Kauai, HI but I am a CA resident then and now, I want a divorce. Do I have to ask for it in HI or can I file here in CA?

Asked on 7/16/12, 10:51 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock APLC

If you have been a resident in the state of California for 6 months and living in the same county for 3 months, you can file your divorce in California.

Read more
Answered on 7/17/12, 7:12 am
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

Ms. Kock sets forth the residency requirements to file for dissolution of marriage in California. If you have been resident in California for 6 months, you may file and must file in the county where you have resided for the past 3 months.

You don't state where your spouse is right now, which may affect problems with service and personal jurisdiction.

Read more
Answered on 7/17/12, 9:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California