Legal Question in Family Law in California


I'm moving an hour away from my son's father's residence. I started my college education a little later since I had to care for our son. Once my son was a little older, I went back to school and I just recently received my Bachelor's degree and want to continue getting a Master's degree in Business. That was the plan. Tha father and I were never married or lived together by my choice. I always had physical custody since our son was born. We have joint legal custody. In our court order, it states that I have to inform the father within 45 days in writing if I move to another county. I asked my son who is 13 years old if he wanted to stay with his father, but he refused. I found a great school for him that he liked. Although the father did agree to the move previously, he is not agreeing to it anymore. How likely is it that the judge will grant me the move if I provide the judge evidence on how relocating to the new city is an excellent move for me and especially our son. In addition, our son wants to attend the univeristy that I will be attending when he graduates from high school. I figured this would give both of us the opportunity to get adjusted to the new big city before he starts college.

Asked on 4/01/09, 11:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Phillip Lemmons, Esq. Phillip Lemmons APC, Attorneys at Law

Re: move-away

Judge will likely allow you to move unless it's detremental to your son.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/09, 12:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California