Legal Question in Family Law in California

I was ordered to pay child support in VA and now moved to CA, can I file for modification in my current state?

Asked on 1/21/13, 11:18 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Bruce Boice Law Office of Boice & Associates

Not likely. Look at your current Judgment. Most (if not all) courts will keep jurisdiction for minors in the state of original jurisdiction. You can file in VA and request to appear by telephone.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/13, 11:22 am
Robert Kubler The Kubler Law Firm

California Courts generally cannot modify another state's decree unless you there is a basis of jurisdiction for them to even consider to modify an order. This is specified in the law in great detail and not apt for a general question/answer. You should consult an attorney. Don't hesitate to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/13, 2:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California