Legal Question in Family Law in California

Hi I'm from the Philippines and married to an American. We got married here in the Philippines and settle here for good. We dont have a kid.Our marriage last for a year because he left me for someone else. He's still living here in the Philippines near his new girlfriend. We don't have divorce here in the Philippines. The thing is he keeps insisting that I owe him money, that he wants me to pay for everything he spent while we're together. Back when we're living together he pay for everything because I don't have a job that time, but now I do have one. He told me that it's not because he's the man that he will pay for everything. That I'm just a paper wife and that I need to pay him for everything he spent when we're living together (bills, food, expenses) . I don't know what to do. I know I don't owe him money because we're legally married and it's his marital obligation to me. He's abusive, mentally, emotionally, verbally and physically. He also have PTSD.

Asked on 6/08/16, 11:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

If you married in the Philippines and both still live in the Philippines, California or any other U.S. law has absolutely nothing to do with your marriage or obligations to each other. That is completely up to Philippine law in your situation. You have to ask a Philippine lawyer for any advice or information you need.

Read more
Answered on 6/08/16, 12:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California