Legal Question in Family Law in California

i am pregnant. Can the father of my unborn stop me or the baby from leaving the area, out of state or out of country>????????

Asked on 12/31/09, 1:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Possibly but only temporarily, long enough to maintain jurisdiction over you for a paternity and support proceeding. I'm not positive that would apply before the child is born, but it definitely would once the child is born. A child is entitled to know their father and to be supported by both parents. Unless the father is a danger to you and/or the child, that is far more important than how you feel about him. So the courts do have the power to keep you in the state until parentage and support are determined.

Read more
Answered on 1/05/10, 9:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California