Legal Question in Family Law in California

i have a question about my legal rights as a parent. I have a court ordered child support agreement that I am current on, however, several years ago when my finances changed, I was unable to pay my full amount for several months. I have 2 children (1 of which will be 18 in a couple weeks) and my ex is demanding more child support or she will take me back to court to collect on those months from a few years ago. What are my rights?

Asked on 8/08/12, 4:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Your rights are to pay the back support with 10% interest from the date due, or reach an agreement with your ex. The law is frighteningly inflexible on support arrearages and the system for collecting it, if the Dept. of Child Support Services gets involved, borders on Gestapo tactics. She has you over a barrel.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/12, 4:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California