Legal Question in Family Law in California

Relative seeking custody

I have nephew whom I have been raising since he was about 2 weeks old. He is now 2 1/2 years old. Both parents are alive, the father has no contact and the mother has intermitant contact. The mother has now decided to pick up and leave CA for AL. She wants to take the child with her. She is on SSI for mental problems in the past, would be going to live with grandparents who are in thier mid 70's. This child and I have formed a strong parent-child bond. What can I do? I love him and want to have him in my life forever. Please help.

Asked on 6/26/09, 4:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: Relative seeking custody

You would have to file a petition to become his guardian. You can file your petition and request a temporary order giving you custody, assuming that you take this action while the child is still in your custody. If mother has taken the child you may be able to get a temporary order stopping the move.

Read more
Answered on 7/01/09, 2:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California