Legal Question in Family Law in California

What are my rights as a father of a new born child? The mother of my child keeps taking my child for weeks at a time without my consent she has no job no source of income and lives with me I work a fulltime job and pay every last dime for all that we have. How come I'm not entitled to the same custody to leave a bad mother and take my child to a safer environment?

Asked on 6/27/13, 10:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

B. Stuart Walker Law Office of B. Stuart Walker

If you signed the acknowledgement of paternity and are therefore listed on the county birth certificate, you already have the same rights to custody of the child as the mother - theoretically. The reality is that you need to file a petition with the court for Custody or Parentage as you will not be guaranteed custody and visitation until there is a court order that you can show to the police when you go to pick up your child for visitation.

Read more
Answered on 6/27/13, 10:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California