Legal Question in Family Law in California

I am seeking to terminate parental rights based on court order set June 2020 for supervised visitation for up to hours, anger management classes, and parenting classes. She has not done any of the required orders. There is an R.O in place with my daughter as a protected party as well.

I already have full custody in both legal and physical.

Asked on 4/28/21, 8:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Law Offices of Timothy McCormick

You are not likely to succeed. Termination of parental rights is a drastic step and one that the courts are VERY reluctant to take. If she is in contempt of court orders, the remedy is a contempt citation and possibly modification of the orders, not termination of parental rights. The courts always favor keeping the door open to problem parents mending their ways and reunification with the child. Pretty much only cases of abuse, serious neglect and the like, along with multiple failed efforts at treatment and reunification result in actual permanent termination of parental rights. You should look into having her brought into court on a contempt charge rather than trying to terminate parental rights.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/21, 8:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California