Legal Question in Family Law in California

What do i do if i got served child support papers claiming have a child with a person I do not even know? Could this be a mistake on the mothers countys part? Or more than one person with this name? I dont know what to do. thanks

Asked on 10/27/09, 2:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

If it was served by the county Child Support Services, it is probably a case of mistaken identity, e.g., someone with the same name. It could however, be fraud too. In either case, work with them to establish that you never had any contact with the mother. They're usually pretty good about dealing with this kind of thing. They are supposed to be neutral helpers to both custodial and non-custodial parents, so they are not usually adversarial. If they start stonewalling you or being adversarial, though, get a lawyer. They have a lot of power and if they decide to go after you it can be hell if you are not represented.

Read more
Answered on 11/01/09, 4:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California