Legal Question in Family Law in California

I signed the birth certificate to find out later i am not the biological father from a DNA test?

how do i remove my name from the child birth certificate? If she put me on child support do I have to pay? The girl and I have never been marry or committed. The state is California.


Asked on 9/19/13, 5:00 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

You need to talk to an attorney in person or on the phone to discuss further. The issue that I see is whether you signed a voluntary declaration of paternity, how long ago you signed it, and whether there is an existing case or order for child support already in place.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/13, 7:03 am

Phillip D. Wheeler, Esq. Phillip D. Wheeler, Attorney At Law

A Family Law attorney can help you with this matter. He needs to know how long ago you signed it, was it a birth certificate or was declaration of paternity. He also needs to know any other information about the situation that you might not have mentioned here.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/13, 9:12 am
Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

The previous answers are exactly right. You DO have to pay child support until and unless you get a court order reversing the declaration of paternity. You will NEVER get that without a lawyer. It is VERY hard to undo those after 60-days. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. And you should preferably find a lawyer in the county where the child is, or one close by. This will require some face-time with the court in that county.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/13, 10:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California