Legal Question in Family Law in California

The Situation:

Neither my son nor his wife will speak to me, and they have cut off Internet communications with my 9-year-old granddaughter.

This is because I complained that they were speeding with their kids in the car. I also complained that they were having my granddaughter sleep in an unsafe bed (bunkbed with manufacturer’s warning about young children). I offered to buy a safe bed but my offer was refused.

I was diplomatic but now, perhaps as expected, they have broken off all communications with me. I have written three times. Nothing budges. My daughter’s intervention makes no difference.

I live in London, UK, they life in California, USA; so this cuts off all communication with my granddaughter. (Her younger brother is too young for Internet.) Prior to this she and I had lively communications and I visited when in California. I frequently send presents but never know if they get them.

I am looking for a remedy to end speeding; and I am looking to restore Internet communication with granddaughter. I have no record of any wrongdoing.


Asked on 5/12/21, 8:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

I'm afraid grandparents have no legal rights or powers in California.

Read more
Answered on 5/15/21, 2:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California