Legal Question in Family Law in California

Spousal Support

My spouse has filed for divorce in California. I am preparing a response. I need to find out how much spousal support California will award so I know what I am entitled to. We have been married 29 years. He makes $52,000 and I make $26,000. I was only in CA with him for 2 1/2 months. Our married life has been in Utah. Thanks for your help.

Asked on 11/06/03, 3:38 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Karen J. Segel Law Offices Of Karen J. Segel

Re: Spousal Support

you definitely need competent family law counsel.

Your marriage was lengthy and you should be able

to secure permanent lifetime support. The issue

is why did he file in California, and does the Calif. court have jursidiction over this marriage?

how long did he live here, etc. and other factors

needs to be addressed by competent counsel

Spousal support is governed by automatic formula in what is called 'disso master'. Both

parties need to fill out a complete income/expense

declaration and attach paystubs, etc. There are other factors involved in this.

please contact a competent attorney. You

can call our office and at least we can steer you

in the right direction,.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/03, 4:08 pm
Donald Holben Donald R. Holben & Associates, APC

Re: Spousal Support

You need to retain counsel in CAlifornia to properly protect and insure your interests.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/03, 4:37 pm
Patrick McCrary Law Office Of Patrick L. McCrary

Re: Spousal Support

Unlike child support there is no formula for spousal support in the State of California. The Santa Clara suggested amount is $436 using only the factors that you gave me, however, that could best be described as an average amount ordered. Your actual order would vary by his expenses and your expenses. There is a good chance that the court would also order him to pay a portion of your attorney's fees. You should retain an attorney here in California, in the county where he lives, otherwise you will probably lose "big time". Good Luck, Pat McCrary

Read more
Answered on 11/06/03, 7:06 pm
Brian Levy, Esq. Law Office of Brian Don Levy

Reply: Spousal Support

More information is needed before your question can be answered.

I suggest that you consult with an experienced family law lawyer. Experience is not expensive, it's priceless!

You will find some valuable information on various family law issues including spousal support at my web site.

Good luck to you!

Brian Levy, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/03, 8:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California