Legal Question in Family Law in California

I am the step-mother to two girls (7 and 9). The birth mother recently told my husband and I that she wants to give up her rights so I can adopt them. Do we NEED a lawyer or can we do everything through a paralegal?

Asked on 7/05/16, 2:35 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

If everyone is in agreement, you can probably use a document preparation paralegal. Make sure, however, that they are properly licensed and supervised.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/16, 2:54 pm
Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.

Obviously, I'm going to say have an attorney draft and finialize the the docs. The paralegal may over step his/her authority, and this could lead to problems. If done properly it should be okay, but be sure.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/16, 4:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California