Legal Question in Family Law in California

Taking a step-child out of country

My wife and I would like to take our son (my step son) on a cruise to Mexico. She has heard that we need a letter from the birth father authorizing us to do so. We do not know how to get in touch with the birth father and he has made no attempts in the last 3 years to contact us or his son. How do I take my son on a cruise if we can't contact the birth father?

Thank you.

Asked on 10/20/03, 1:58 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brian Levy, Esq. Law Office of Brian Don Levy

Re: Taking a step-child out of country

Check with your travel agent. As far as I know, all you need is a certified copy of the child's birth certificate to go on a cruise to Mexico. If your travel agent tells you something different, please let me know!

Good luck and pleasant sailing.

Brian Levy, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/03, 2:52 pm

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: Taking a step-child out of country

This may be an excellent time to petition the court for mom to have sole physical and legal custody of the child. Also if you are considering adopting this would also be a good time to proecede.

File a motion with the court requesting this change. Prior to filing the motion check for his location. Check with his family, DMV, and registrar of voters. If you get an address mail him a copy of the motion. He may not show at the hearing.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/03, 9:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California