Legal Question in Family Law in California

I am an unmarried father living in CA. I would like to relinquish my parental rights and petition the court to have my child's last name changed to her mother's last name. I have had a close relationship with my daughter in the past, but we recently had a serious argument and the relationship is no longer repairable. Is it possible to relinquish parental rights and would that end a child support obligation? Can I petition the court to change my daugther's name against her objection?

Asked on 8/26/13, 4:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

1. No, not unless she remarries and her husband is willing to adopt her. 2. Yes, as long as her mom agrees. You and the mom control the name.

Read more
Answered on 8/26/13, 5:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California