Legal Question in Medical Leave in California

I am dealing with at least two medical conditions that are causing me continued discomfort and pain, as well as periods of vertigo. (I have extreme pain and stiffness in my hips and I was diagnosed with a digestive tract condition a few months ago.) My job requires long periods of sitting and reading/writing on a computer, both of which exacerbate the pain and the vertigo, often resulting in migraines. Add to all of this the stress of not being able to meet my performance responsibilities at work, and, well, Iím a mess right now. I need some time off from work, or at least reduced work hours but I am petrified of losing my job and, of course and especially right now, my medical benefits. It seems obvious to me that I should be eligible for FMLA but what do you think? (Two years, full-time, in CA.)

Asked on 3/13/11, 9:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Kirschbaum Law Offices of Michael R. Kirschbaum

It is not a question of what a lawyer on a free website thinks. It is a question of what your doctor thinks. In order to qualify for FMLA leave you must have at least one doctor, maybe two, certify you are unable to work due to a serious health condition.

Read more
Answered on 3/14/11, 9:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Medical Leave Act questions and answers in California