Legal Question in Medical Leave in California

I was a temporary employee for one year until changing to permanent status recently (same employer). Both of these positions were full time hours. Am I entitled to FMLA if I need to take it now that I am premanent following the temporary position

Asked on 3/05/11, 6:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

If your CA employer has at least 50 employees, and you are employed for at least 12 months, have at least 1,250 hours worked in the 12 months prior to the leave, then you would be eligible for 12 weeks of unpaid FMLA / CFRA maternity / medical leave when you are unable to work [or must care for an immediate family member] because of a ‘SERIOUS health condition’ [that is properly confirmed and documented by the doctor], continuation of group health benefits, restoration to the same or an equivalent job upon return to work, with accrued benefits. The employer can require you to use all accrued unused leave[s] as part of the 12 weeks, so as to make that portion 'paid'. The leave may be taken on reasonable intermittent basis if that need is properly documented by your medical provider. Being out sick with the minor illness or injury does not fall within the protections.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/11, 9:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Medical Leave Act questions and answers in California