Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

My 79 year old grandmothers husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and had radiation treatments done in mn. They both went and stayed with his daughter, and as the time went on his children started dividing up his and my grandmothers property. The children ended up kicking my grandmother off of their property and telling her that she wasn't apart of the family, and not to come back. She is 79, and so was intimidated enough, that she did indeed leave. Now she has no contact with her husband and no home (they also took her and her husbands motor home). What recorse does she have? Can they do this legally? Can she go back and get her husband back? Can she take legal guardianship for her husband (or something like it) and take care of him?

Asked on 7/30/12, 6:45 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Patricia Meyer Patricia Meyer & Associates

She needs to find a lawyer. Immediately. Most likely the children have no right to anything while he is alive. But your grandmother must take action quickly. She needs a lawyer who understands elder abuse and trusts and estates. Most of the things you want for her can happen. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/12, 6:59 pm
Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

I agree with Ms. Meyer. But because the events you describe seem to have all happened in Minnesota, that is where your grandmother must look for counsel. Minnesota law will govern her claims, and they will be reviewed by a Minnesota court.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/12, 1:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California