Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

Please help- Had an angry rant, now being sued for $40,000

After arguing with a company I called the office of ceo and said I would kick his as* and he was dead if it didn't stop. (stupid angry rant )He deemed it a threat, hired more security and PI's to find me and in 2 wks says he spent $40,000 in cost. Now is coming after me for this ridiculously high number. How do I dispute this and is it reasonable to a judge/jury for $20,000/ wk cost?

I thought I would ask again since I got no real advice before.

Asked on 12/08/08, 11:06 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Cathy Cowin Law Offices of Cathy Cowin

Re: Please help- Had an angry rant, now being sued for $40,000

I think it would be most helpful to explain two reasons why you're not getting a good response. First of all, you didn't indicate a zip code or county and attorneys closer to you would be more likely to respond. Second, "coming after you" is not descriptive. Have you been sued? If so, under what causes of action (the titles in the complaint)? This would explain the basis for the allegations against you so that an attorney can analyze an appropriate response strategy. If you're near central California, you're welcome to call my office and make arrangements to send a copy of your documents via facsimile so that I can look them over. Without that information, it is nearly impossible to make any helpful comment other than $40K sounds like a lot and he has a duty to be "reasonable" in his response. You may want to re-post with the information I've suggested and see if you get more specific comments.

Read more
Answered on 12/08/08, 11:27 am
Phillip Lemmons, Esq. Phillip Lemmons APC, Attorneys at Law

Re: Please help- Had an angry rant, now being sued for $40,000

So now you're turning your rant against attorneys giving free information. You got not "real" advice because nobody is going to spend all day doing legal research on an incomplete fact pattern and then write 40 pages of information covering all the possibilities.

I'll say it again. Go retain legal counsel. You're asking an open-ended question which cannot possibly be answered with any level of competence on this board.

Read more
Answered on 12/08/08, 12:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California