Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

For a breach of contract matter, if the defendant owes $50k and resides in New York and the plaintiff resides in California, which State must the plaintiff file the cause of action in order to recover money damages? And, is it best to retain an attorney in the State where the defendant lives or does it matter?

Asked on 3/07/18, 1:13 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Samuel Stamas Law Office of Samuel G. Stamas

Whether the case is in California or New York can depend on a number of matters. Mostly, if the contract has a provision for Venue and Jurisdiction. The location of the Defendant is also a big factor in determining where it is heard. Be that as it may, it is generally best to get an attorney in the State where the matter will be heard.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/18, 2:39 pm
Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

What does the contract say pertaining to the choice of law / jurisdiction / venue?

Read more
Answered on 3/07/18, 6:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California