Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

One of my friends would come over and help work on my house, some times we would pay him. He always wanted to be paid in cash. One night we drank way to much and got in an argument over not giving him a tip. He ended up giving me a black eye. I took him to court for assault, He was found not guilty. He now is suing me for everything he has ever done and some. He even has friend of his that will say they witnessed a verbal agreement. This is a bitter person trying to make me payout money I don't owe him. Can he win?

Asked on 8/02/12, 1:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

He shouldn't win, but he can. If the jury believes him and his witness instead of you, then they will rule in his favor.

You should get a lawyer to represent you if at all possible. If you can't afford that, at least hire one to advise you, review your papers and help you prepare for court. There may be ways to discredit his testimony and his friend's; a lawyer can help you do that.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/12, 4:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California