Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

ownership of a vehicle and civil litigation

this question is about a truck that I bought On october of 2000.I purchased the truck, but in the two months that I owned that truck I did not register that truck into my name because it was an outstanding amount. I had a driving permit. My brother a suspended license,but he was eligible to receive his license. One day we were driving waiting to turn on a intersection when the traffic light turned red we moved a little bit, right onto the oncoming lane. a car that we were involved in a accident with came from the other side of the lane he entered the intersection on a red light and since we were already on the other side we couldn't move.He hit us. The person that was driving was my brother because he was going to purchase that truck from me for his own use. The reason I purchased it was because I had the money at the moment and because I was going to register under my name even though he would of been the one with the truck.I was only the passenger but the other persons insurence is now suing me and my brother. I would like to know what protection would I have because I was the passenger and because he gave me the money before the accident. Is there any way to remove myself from this lawsuit.

Asked on 4/23/02, 2:28 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Larry Rothman Larry Rothman & Associates

Re: ownership of a vehicle and civil litigation

You may have some defenses with respect to the accident and your ownership. Did you have any insurance at that time? If you fax to me at 714 363 0229 any of your correspondence and a copy of the lawsuit, I will provide you with free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/02, 6:18 pm
Ken Koury Kenneth P. Koury, Esq.

Re: ownership of a vehicle and civil litigation

No. you should contact your insurance company. if you had no insurance you will need to hire a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/02, 2:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California