Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

I purchased a used vehicle from a private party. Paid in full and I received the vehicle. However, the seller never sent the title as promised, and a lien remains on the vehicle. Three months have passed. How can I legally proceed? I went to the police dept. and they said it is not fraud or a criminal case. Can I sue in small claims for a non-monetary item such as satisfied lien? What are my options?

Asked on 6/12/13, 3:54 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

Depends on what the terms of the sale were.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 6:32 pm

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

You may be able to sue depending upon what was agreed. Was there anything in writing? Was it just all oral? Why did you not get them at the time. Did you check with DMV. Why would the person who sold you the car not want his/her name off the title? Why would they want the liability?

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 9:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California