Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

small claim

i loan a friend a 1000.00 to buy a car to gt to work,he sent me 200.00 an stop.he live in houston tx and i live in calif can i file a small claim case in calif on him.He wont return my calls.

Asked on 4/01/09, 1:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Shers Law Offices of Georges H. Shers

Re: small claim

Normally you must file in one of the following places: where the defendant lives, where the contract was entered into, where the the real property is located. Even if you can sue in California, will you be able to collect anything from him? You would have to get a court order honoring the California judgment and then have it enforced where he lives. If he works for someone, does not have his own home, or the car he bought has little value, you are not going to recover anything. The only negative that occurs to him is that his credit records will show a judgment against him.

Send him a letter offering to compromise for a lower sum in cash or that you will then have to use your legal rights to sue, etc. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/01/09, 1:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California