Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

How do I sue a married couple in Santa Cruz, CA? I loaned them $16,000 in February 2012 for home improvement and they never paid me back. It was a handshake deal. I know they moved to Oregon, but I don't know where.

Asked on 2/01/18, 8:56 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Samuel Stamas Law Office of Samuel G. Stamas

It sounds like your statute of limitations has expired. You must file suit within 2 years generally on any oral contract.

Read more
Answered on 2/02/18, 9:51 am

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

When was repayment due? If more than two years ago, you might be barred by the two-year statute of limitation for oral contracts. If in 2016, then you could sue in the superior court that covers the community where the contract was signed.

Read more
Answered on 2/02/18, 9:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California