Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

We're looking for the right type of attorney for this following matter.

We had a sizable lien on a neighboring property and when it was discovered that the property tax on it was pushing 5 years in default, we decided to Foreclose on it. The property was a rental property and when the owner of the property, who lives in PA. received "notice of foreclosure", he apparently hired a Ca. licensed landscape contractor/"renter" to take apart and remove everything of value, both inside and out, of his 1 acre parcel of property. The property had a mobile home and a metal building that included a mother-in-law quarters and garage, which were both being rented at the time.

The Cabinetry, plumbing, electrical, windows, doors, irrigation, approx. 500 ln.ft.x 6' redwood fencing, approx. 150' ln.ft.x 4' concrete retaining wall, asphalt driveway, wooden and concrete decks were all removed or destroyed. Even the 35' by 35' metal building was taken down and removed from the property. The majority of the trees and plants were uprooted and left to die. They then used a 10 yard dump truck and dumped approximately 100 loads of some unidentified shredded wood material throughout the yard and driveway. We estimate the total damage to be around $500,000 or more.

In our search of what codes and laws they have violated, we found Cal.Code of Civil Procedure 746 & Cal.Penal Code 502.5. We also found a similar case that happened in 2010 regarding a SDPD officer and his wife with the last name of Acosta.

The landscape co. is a father/son Gen. Partnership in good standing since 1996 and the father also owns another landscape company since the 1980s. They appear to be doing well based on the Internet searches we have done on them.

We witnessed and photographed the majority of the damage as it was happening. We are hoping to find some legal representation and if it's possible to be done on a contingency, that would be helpful.

Asked on 6/14/18, 10:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry


I think many attorneys will be wary about responding in a public forum to a request for representation, because of concerns about confidentiality and possibly violations of the rules of ethics.

You will be much better served by reaching out to attorneys individually, who can then respond directly in an Email that is much more private. You can of course find attorneys here through LawGuru, through your local bar association, or through a general search on the Internet.

Read more
Answered on 6/14/18, 4:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California