Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

My wages are being garnished for a judgement against my exhusband. When the garnishment began we were still married, the judgement is against him only. Now we are divorced and in our divorce he is the responsible party for the judgement. I tried filing an exemption with the courts but the judge told me that I needed to file or do something else, although he didnt tell me what. I have talked to several lawyers and they couldnt help me either. Can you tell me how to stop this garnishment?

Asked on 6/13/13, 1:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

If the judgment is a separate property debt, and you are divorced, then your wages should not be garnished. If the judgment is a community property debt, then both you and your husband are liable for the debt.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 3:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California