Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I am 68 and had a heart attack 9 yrs ago. So time is important to me. I have met a lady that is 62 and her permit to be in the US has expired. We have talked about marriage. If we did get married can we apply to immigration to keep her here. If she had to return to Bulgaria, we may not get time to enjoy quality time as a married couple. May health is stable, but the clock is ticking. We honestly are interested in getting married not to just help her stay in the US. Neither of us has a criminal record.

Asked on 9/08/13, 1:52 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho

Yes, assuming she entered the U.S. legally, she should be able to remain in the U.S. if you two were to marry and you apply for her lawful permanent residence.

You may find out more information about the adjustment of status process on my web site here:

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 4:48 am

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

As Attorney Cho has stated, if she had a legal entry, even if she overstayed her visa, you can get married & you can apply for her "greencard".

More information can be obtained at & search "family of U.S. citizen".

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 11:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California