Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I want to apply for a greencard for my mother.What documents does she need to provide from back home to do this.


Asked on 9/14/09, 9:22 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

If you are a U.S. Citizen, you are able to apply for permanent residency for your mother (who I assume is currently living abroad). You will need her valid passport, her birth certificate, and other documents required at the time of the interview. I do recommend contacting our office to assist you in the process, which includes filing first with the USCIS office and then preparing the documents necessary for the interview at the US consulate abroad. We can be reached at: [email protected] or 415-387-1364 to assist you in this process.

Read more
Answered on 9/14/09, 12:44 pm
Alice Yardum-Hunter Alice M. Yardum-Hunter, a Law Corp.

Presumably, you're an over 21 US citizen. If not, you don't qualify to petition her. Assuming that you do, she needs evidence to prove your relationship to her, who she is and that she is admissible. The most common documents are birth certificate, police clearance, proof of payment of the visa fee, immigrant visa application forms, medical examination, etc. Exactly what is necessary varies a little bit depending on the case.

Let me know if you'd like that level of assistance.


Alice Yardum-Hunter

Certified Specialist, Immigration & Nationality Law, State Bar of CA, Bd. of Legal Specialization and a "Super Lawyer" 2004-present, "Los Angeles Magazine"

Read more
Answered on 9/15/09, 12:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California