Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I am asylee, 36y.o, from Russia,

I got Asylum 2012, march 03. 28.12

I have Green Card , from 07.03.13

I need including my mother in my case now, haw I can do that, if this is possible ? I a long in USA, no body no family no friend's, I working in USA and I can support her and myself, I was run from Russia, because worked in opposition. Every single day I stand up and worry about my mother haw is she is. And I have not good news form Moscow !

Haw I can including my mother in my case, And also I have't no children's, no husband, no body only my mam.

Thank you for answering

Asked on 8/14/13, 1:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Brown Brown Law Practice, PLLC

Spouses and children of asylees may be eligible for derivative asylum, but parents cannot apply derivatively through their children. Lawful permanent residents can only sponsor spouses and unmarried sons and daughters for immigrant visas. Therefore, based on the facts you have provided, it does not appear that you will be able to sponsor your mother based on your status as an asylee or lawful permanent resident.

If and when you become a naturalized citizen, you should be able to sponsor your mother as an immediate relative. In the meantime, your mother may have other options, such as applying for asylum that is not derivative to yours. I would recommend consulting with an attorney so that the details of your motherís situation can be fully discussed, and to determine whether your mother has any options for immigrating to the United States.

Read more
Answered on 8/15/13, 1:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California