Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I'm US citizen. I have 2 brothers and 1 sister in law. I want to file request for their immigration. Can i do it on the same file or i need to seperate them? What kind of paperworks i need to prepare and how much it cost. Thank you for answering!

Asked on 8/07/09, 5:26 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

As a US citizen, you can petition for both brothers (and their wives will be included, as well, as children under 21).

You shall file a separate petition for each brother.

If you require legal assistance in this matter please contact me at Attorney [@], and I would be glad to help.

Read more
Answered on 8/07/09, 5:32 pm
David Nachman Nachman & Associates, P.C.

You can apply on Form I-130 for your brothers. You will have to do a separate I-130 for each one of them. The wait time may be as long as ten to twelve years before their cases can be processed for the green card (adjustment or consular processing). You cannot file for your sister in law. She will derive status from the appropriate brother for whom you are applying. For more information, please feel free to visit our website at

Read more
Answered on 8/07/09, 5:50 pm
Alice Yardum-Hunter Alice M. Yardum-Hunter, a Law Corp.

You file for your two brothers and their derivatives are part of their petitions. These cases take longer than a decade, depending where you're from even longer, sometimes it takes so long that people never end up coming that way and get other routes to arrive sooner. Either that, or the person often has most of their adult life in another country and immigrates much later on, like for retirement!

It's best to explore other options first before relying on this avenue. Since the petition process takes so long, no one can predict just what will be required come time to do the immigrant visa. Therefore total fees for the whole case cannot be known. I like to simply charge for the petition and then separately for the immigrant visa when the priority date comes current.

I would be happy to help you out if you contact me offline. Check me out at, phone at 818 609 1953 or email me at [email protected] Until then, please don't rely on this as legal advice.

Alice M. Yardum-Hunter, Attorney at Law, Certified Specialist, Immigration & Nationality Law, State Bar of CA, Bd. of Legal Specialization

A “Super Lawyer” 2004 – 2009, Los Angeles Magazine

Read more
Answered on 8/08/09, 7:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California