Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

My dad is a permanent resident and wants to become a US citizen. The problem is that he has a DUI on his record. He did his classes and paid fines already. He also had some problems with child protective services and also did parenting classes, domestic violence classes and paid fines. Is he stilleligible for citizenship? Does he need a lawyer?

Asked on 8/11/10, 11:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

Yes, he difinitely needs to consult a lawyer before deciding whether to apply for citizenship. It might be considered that he lacks 'good moral character' required for naturalization, especially if crimes were committed within the statutory period. Also, some crimes can be considered deportable offence (e.g. domestic violence).

If you would like to request a confidential legal advice or schedule telephone or email consultation regarding your specific situation, please email me directly at Attorney @ and I will send you a Questionnaire. Office Telephone line is 1-402-210-2040 (please EMAIL first to schedule a consultation appointment). I am an immigration attorney and work with clients from all States and globally. More information at

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit

Read more
Answered on 8/16/10, 11:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California