Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I am on H1-B in USA . I am indian citizen . Can I take a project based part time work (remote ) from company based in India ? I will not be there employee . I will be independent contractor . They will pay me in India .

Asked on 7/08/13, 10:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Although the part time work for the Indian company may not interfere with your H-1B employment, and despite the fact that the company is in India & classifying you as an independent contractor, I still see potential issues and I would not advise any of my clients to do so.

I also do not know what the tax ramifications might be, if any, since the work is being done within the United States and the money is being earned while you are residing in the United States.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/13, 10:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California