Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

Hi! I am a permanent resident in the U.S., and expecting to be a citizen in 2011. I am now petitioning for my wife in Vietnam, but I don't know how much I should earn for a year to be eligible to sponsor her. I need your advice. Thanks!

Asked on 9/12/09, 3:00 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

At this time, your income is irrelevant because your wife wouldn't be eligible for a green card/Immigrant visa until 4-5 years after you file the petition, OR after you become a USA citizen.

At that point in the future (for example, in 2011 or 2012), the US government will issue an updated federal poverty guideline, and your income will have to meet those future guidelines.


Email: Attorney [@]

Read more
Answered on 9/12/09, 4:14 pm

As mentioned above, since you are just filing the I-130 petition now, you will have to wait some time before it will be her priority date. You will probably become a citizen by then (you mentioned 2011). The current poverty guidelines that are followed for immigrant visas are published on the Department of State website and can be found at : For 2009, the poverty guidelines for family of 2 is $18,213. You can reach me via email at: [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 9/12/09, 6:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California