Legal Question in Insurance Law in California

Hello. I am a 35 year old man. My mother, who has done many horrible things to me, is no longer in contact with me. She is quite the unsavory character and has cheated the law as much as she could get away with it throughout my childhood and teen years. One such case was in 1997 when I was driving a car registered in my parents' name. I was hit by a red light runner in SF. The driver, who was drinking did NOT have auto insurance. We exchanged numbers and of course I jotted down his license plate #. My mother called him and worked a deal with him. She had him obtain auto insurance shortly after that accident then they both agreed to post date the accident. It worked and his (new) insurance paid the damages to my car, which was something like $1,000 or maybe a little more...can't recall, it's been a while. The car definitely was not anywhere near totaled.

So how big of a crime is this? Does the justice dept. take this pretty seriously or is it like a speeding ticket? Second, is there anything I can do to "rat" my mother out? I feel strongly that the woman should pay for all the horrible things she did in life and this is the only thing I can think of that might stick. All her other crimes are going to be impossible to prove.

Thank you for your help.

Asked on 10/14/11, 6:24 am

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

3 Answers from Attorneys

Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

Don't forget that you were the one who was in this accident. It takes two to tango. If you rat her out chances are you will go down as an accomplice.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/11, 8:28 am

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

You'd have to post this under criminal law to get an exact answer, but I am 99.99% sure that this 14 year old crime is WAY past the statute of limitations on time to prosecute.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/11, 10:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in California