Legal Question in Insurance Law in California

fender bender I have no insurance

The party I collided with wants me to pay for his repairs, no damage to my vehicle, he said if I do not pay he will turn my info into his insurance unless I pay for his repairs, no police report no witnesses, but his whole family showed up within minutes. The amount he wants me to pay is $2000+ but I can not afford to pay because I am on workers comp for the last three years if I could afford topay I would have had insurance. Now he has all my info what are my legal options.

Asked on 2/21/07, 4:57 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathan Stein Law Offices of Jonathan G. Stein

Re: fender bender I have no insurance

You have a few options:

A - You pay him the amount of the estimate.

B - You ask him to get two or three estimates and you pay off of one of those estimates.

C - You make him sue you in small claims court and, when you lose, the judge sets the amount of damages.

D - You make him file a claim with his auto insurance and then they sue you for the damages. They may also report it to a collection agency and let the collection agency ding your credit report.

E - You tell him you have no money and offer to make payments to him. Then, you make the payments.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/07, 9:46 pm
Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

Re: fender bender I have no insurance

If you were responsible for the damage, it's your responsibility to make the other driver whole. Perhaps you can agree on a repair shop, get an estimate, and then pay for the repairs.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/07, 6:51 pm
Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Re: fender bender I have no insurance

You have the legal obligation to pay for his damages. When you get your license back in six months, don't drive without insurance.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/07, 7:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in California