Legal Question in Insurance Law in California

My mother gave me her car to use two months ago... she was in Hospice care for rapidly advancing terminal cancer. She passed away a few weeks ago, and consequently my father and I transferred legal registration and ownership to my name this last weekend. Prior to this transfer, I was not a "named" driver on my parents' auto insurance policy, but was driving "with permission" under which I was covered by their insurance. The existing policy is paid up through November, 2011... My question is, does the insurance coverage automatically dissolve because of the transfer of ownership, or could I wait and ride out the rest of the term before getting my own insurance? I have paid for insurance on cars I do not yet legally own before, and was told I would be covered... because the policy was taken out on the vehicle... regardless of owner... Am I still covered by the permission clause... that my father would gladly continue to endorse?

Asked on 8/15/11, 6:53 pm

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Once the car changed ownership, your father no longer had an insurable interest in the vehicle. You only had a matter of days to get your own insurance. Now you are driving uninsured and putting yourself at risk for fines and major financial losses if you have an at-fault accident. You also will be prohibited from recovering any pain and suffering if you are hurt in an accident caused by the other driver.

Read more
Answered on 8/16/11, 12:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in California