Legal Question in Insurance Law in California

Renting a fourplex townhome/condo?

We are renting a fourplex home. the owner has a insurance that covers everything outside the house. When we asked him about the interior maintanence and repairs(home warranty insurance), he said he doesn't have any insurance. If any things to be repaired during our tennancy, we have to take care of everything. It's very much weird for me. I don't want to spend too much if something happens in the middle of my lease term (1 year) to that 37 years old house. The owner is not aware of/not willing about the warranty insurance. Who has to tak ethe home warranty insurance-the owner or the renter? please advice on this.

Asked on 1/27/07, 4:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Steven Murray Steven W. Murray, APC

Re: Renting a fourplex townhome/condo?

You are going to have to pay for it if the owner won't so contact the warranty company and find out if tenants can buy it. If so, no problem. If not, let the owner buy it and you will pay for it.

Read more
Answered on 2/01/07, 8:21 pm
Steven Lynes Lynes & Associates

Re: Renting a fourplex townhome/condo?

You can get renter’s insurance which cover damages to the “contents” of the home – basically everything that you brought into the home. Depending on the particular working of the renter’s policy, your possessions would be covered for damage caused by failures in the home itself (e.g. a roof leak, burst plumbing lines, etc.).

As the interior of the home itself, you are not responsible for the repair and maintenance of the building components (walls, flooring, plumbing, etc.), unless it is specifically called for in your lease. The landlord should first-party insurance the home, covering damage caused by fire or natural disaster. Hope that answers your question.

If your lease requires you to repair and maintain the interior of the home, I am not aware of any "warranty" products out there for a 37-year old home.

For further assistance on this matter, please feel free to contact our office to arrange for a consultation.

[The statements and opinions provided above are an informational service to the general public. Since this reply is based upon an incomplete description of facts, this email should not used as a substitute for legal advice from a qualified and fully-informed attorney. Moreover, these communications are intended for use by the public. As such, this email does not constitute a confidential communication nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with Lynes & Associates or any of its members.]

Read more
Answered on 2/01/07, 9:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in California