Legal Question in International Law in California

My husband is an English national and has been living in LA for the past 9 years. I am a US citizen and we have been married for 9 years. He has his permanent resident card.

We have booked a trip to England with our two young children from March 11th to March 20th. We have just found out that my husband's sister, who has mental health issues, went to the police in England two years ago and pressed charges against my husband. My husband's parents informed us yesterday about this and told us that the sister has stated that my husband will be arrested if he enters the country. His sister has declared that he sexually abused her when they were 13 and 11, which is completely made up. Their entire family is furious with her. She keeps changing her story apparently and it is only a serious crime if she alleges the abuse happened after my husband was 14 years old.

We need to find out if there really are charges against my husband in the UK and if this could possibly affect us when we arrive in England.

This is an extremely urgent matter and we would appreciate a response as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Asked on 2/16/13, 10:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward McCutchan Sunderland | McCutchan, LLP

I suggest that you consult with a family member in the U.K. to go down to the court house in the county where the sister resides and pull up any files mentioning your brother from a criminal standpoint to see if any criminal matters have been filed. Likewise, call the police department in the city where the sister resides and see if any charges are filed as to the husband. Such is the best start in resolving the issue that you have written about.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/13, 2:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in California