Legal Question in Juvenile Dependency in California

I am the bio aunt to my sisters three kids who were taken from her and placed into foster care 3 years ago. And due to circumstances of my own, I was unable to get them, so now, the foster mom (who had the opportunity to adopt them and turned it down) has non-relative guardianship of them. I am now able to care for them, and so I applied for an appeal of her guardianship, but was denied, stating it wasn't in the best interest of the children (although I have passed a background check etc) the file contained no details as to why or anything, so I contacted the court and the kids social worker, each seem to have no idea what I should do next. I just need to know how to appeal, or should I refile, or where I go from here, I do not have enough money to hire a lawyer. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Asked on 4/25/13, 5:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paul A. Swiller Tot Law


You can appeal or, if an appreciable period of time has gone by since the Court's last ruling, you can also re-apply. It's obviously your decision, but I would recommend that you find a way to use an attorney so that you can put on the best case possible.

Good luck!

Paul A. Swiller, Esq.

Tot Law

1901 1st Ave., Second Fl.

San Diego, CA 92101

Tel: 619.794.2018

Fax: 619.235.4595

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 4/26/13, 12:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Juvenile Dependency questions and answers in California